Privacy Statement of Sense Company
This Privacy Statement was published on September 26, 2019.
Sense Company strives to protect and respect your privacy in accordance with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 2016/679, dated April 27, 2016. This Privacy Statement explains when and why we collect personal data, how we use it, the conditions under which we can share it with others, and how we protect it. This Privacy Statement applies to the use of our products and to our activities for the sale, marketing and execution of contracts with customers. The Statement also applies to people applying for a job at Sense Company.
Who are we?
Sense Company produces, develops and supplies fragrance/aroma related products that support the smell experience of our customers’ physical spaces. The head office is located in Tilburg, the Netherlands. The registered office address of the head office is J. Asselbergsweg 62, 5026 RR Tilburg, The Netherlands. Sense Company is a data controller and if you would like to contact our Data Protection Officer you can do so by email at: [email protected].
When do we collect personal data about you?
- When you use our products.
- When you communicate with us in person, in writing, by phone, email, social media or through our websites.
- When we collect personal data from other legitimate sources, such as external data collectors, Sense Company marketing partners, public sources or social networks. We only use this data if you have given these sources your permission to share your personal data with third parties.
- We may collect personal data if this serves a legitimate interest and if it does not give way to privacy interests. Before collecting data, we make an analysis to assess whether there is a mutual interest for you and Sense Company.
Why do we collect and use personal data?
We collect and use your personal data mainly for the execution of direct sales, direct marketing and customer service. We also collect data about suppliers, partners and applicants from or employees of our company.
We may use your personal data for the following purposes:
- To send you the requested marketing communication. This may include information about our products and services, events, activities and promotions of our partners’ products and services. This communication takes place on a subscription basis and requires your consent.
- To send you information about the products and services you have purchased from us.
- The execution of direct sales activities when a legitimate and mutual interest has been established.
- To provide you with information about the content and location of an event for which you have registered.
- To provide an answer to a contact or other web form that you filled in on sense-company.com (for example to request a scent sample or scent pilot).
- To follow up on incoming requests (customer support, emails, chats or phone calls).
- Provide access and services that are part of the (initial) use of the products of Sense Company.
- To make access available to our customer support, fragrance portal, webshop and/or website.
- To comply with contractual obligations, such as order confirmation, invoice, direct debit form, reminders and the like. The contract may have been concluded directly with Sense Company or with a Sense Company partner.
- To warn you in the event of a malfunction in our services (by telephone or system messages).
- To contact you to gauge your opinion and status of our products and services.
- To process an application.
- To improve and develop our services and products.
- For anonymizing or pseudonymising contact details for statistical analysis.
Our legal basis for the collection of personal data.
To collect personal information based on consent.
The collection of personal data based on the consent of the data subject is carried out through ‘Consent Forms’ documenting the consent given by the person. Personal permission will always be stored and documented in our systems.
To collect personal information based on contracts.
We use personal data to fulfil our obligations under contracts and agreements with customers, partners and suppliers.
To collect personal data on the basis of legitimate interest.
We may use personal data if it serves a legitimate interest and if the privacy interests of those involved do not override this interest. Typically, to determine whether there is a legal basis for data collection, we have made an analysis that identifies a mutual interest for both Sense Company and the individual. This legal basis is primarily related to sales and marketing purposes. We will always inform individuals of their privacy rights and inform them of the purpose for which we collect personal data.
What type of personal data do we collect?
We collect name, phone number, position and email address, in addition to the name and contact information of you and/or your company. We may also collect feedback, comments, and questions that we received from you through service-related communications and activities, such as meetings, phone calls, documents, and emails. Through our websites we can collect IP addresses, browser data and activities undertaken on the site.
For example, if you post reviews on a website operated by us, this information can be read by anyone who accesses the website and used for purposes over which Sense Company and you have no control. Therefore, Sense Company is not responsible for the information you post on websites operated by Sense Company.
When you apply for a job at Sense Company, we collect the information you provide during the application process.
In case you use an online fragrance system from Sense Company, we collect account information, usage and status history and system settings.
Sense Company does not collect or process specific categories of personal data, such as known unique identifiers or sensitive personal data.
How long do we keep your personal data?
We keep personal data for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which the personal data was collected, also taking into account that we must be able to answer your questions or solve potential problems, comply with the legal requirements of the applicable laws, be able to handle legal claims/ complaints and protect the data.
This means that we keep your personal data for a reasonable period of time after your last interaction with us. When the personal data we have collected is no longer needed, we will securely delete the data. We may process data for statistical purposes, but in such cases the data is anonymized.
Your rights regarding your personal data
You have the following rights with regard to your personal data:
- you have the right to request a copy of the personal data that Sense Company has about you.
- you have the right to ask Sense Company to correct your personal data if this is incorrect or out of date.
- If you are a customer or partner and have registered a profile on our webshop, you can update your user profile by logging in with your account and updating your profile.
- If you are a customer or partner and use the Sense Company Fragrance Portal, you can update your user profile by sending an email to [email protected]
- you have the right to request the deletion of your personal data when Sense Company no longer needs to keep this data.
- you have the right to withdraw your consent to the processing of your personal data at any time. For example, you can withdraw your consent to receive e-marketing communications:
- If you want to withdraw your consent for e-marketing, you can use the unsubscribe link included in our communications. Note that you may still be able to receive system messages and administrative communications from Sense Company, such as order confirmations, system messages, and activity notifications within your account.
- you have the right to ask Sense Company to provide you with your personal data and, if possible, to pass this information directly (in a transferable format) to another data controller when processing is based on your consent or contract.
- you have the right to request the restriction of further data processing in the event of a dispute regarding the accuracy or processing of your personal data.
- you have the right to object to the processing of personal data if the data processing is based on legitimate interest and/ or direct marketing.
You can send your questions about your privacy rights to [email protected].
This information is used to make websites function more efficiently, to provide business and marketing information to the owners of the site and to collect personal information such as browser type and operating system, pages requested, path followed on the site, domain of ISP, etc. to better understand how visitors use a website. Cookies and similar technologies help us to adapt the website to your personal needs, but also to detect and prevent security threats and abuse. When used independently, cookies and web beacons cannot identify you personally.
Who do we share your data with?
We do not share, sell, rent, or trade your information with any third party without your permission, except as described below:
- External service providers working on our behalf:
We may pass on your information to our distributors, agents, sub-contractors and other related organizations so that they can offer you services on our behalf.
- External product providers we work with:
We work closely with third party product suppliers to provide you with a range of products and services that meet your additional needs (for example, our available apps in the Google Play Store and Apple App Store). When you inquire about or purchase these products, the relevant third party product supplier will use your information to provide you with information and fulfil its obligations under any contract you may have entered into with this party. In some cases, third party product suppliers will act as data processors of your information. We therefore recommend that you read the privacy policies of these parties and sign a Data Processing Agreement (DPA) with them. These third party product suppliers will share your information with us and we will use this information in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
- In case of legal obligations:
We will release your personal data if we are subject to a legal obligation or if we, as a company, reasonably suspect that release is necessary to protect our company’s rights and/or to comply with legal proceedings, court orders or legal processes. However, we will make every effort to ensure that your privacy rights are protected.
The use of sub-contractors (processors and sub-processors)
If the sub-contractor processes personal data outside the EU/EEA territory, such processing should be in accordance with the EU privacy framework, the EU Model Clauses for transfers to third countries or any other specifically stated legal basis for the transfer of personal data to a third country.
If a new sub-contractor is added or a new sub-contractor is related to our services, customers will be notified in accordance with our Terms of Service. A list of approved sub-contractors is part of our Data Processing Agreement (DPA).
Modification of this Privacy Statement
Sense Company reserves the right to change this Privacy Statement at any time. The applicable version is always available on our websites. We request that you check this Privacy Statement regularly to ensure that you are happy with the changes.
If we make changes that will significantly change our privacy practice, we will notify you by email or post a notice on our websites before the change takes effect.
Your right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority
If you are not satisfied with the way your personal data has been processed, please contact [email protected] first.
If you remain dissatisfied, you have the right to appeal directly to your national supervisor for a decision. You can contact the supervisor as follows:
Personal Data Authority